The Roman Amphitheater of Arezzo is located in the southern part of the walled part of the city. Today, the city’s Archaeological Museum sits on the ruins of the monument. Built in the 2nd century, the amphitheater was excavated in 1915.
Roman Amphitheatre Arezzo
Address, opening hours and admission
The address of the Anfiteatro Romano is Via Margaritone 10 – 52100 Arezzo (tel. +39 057520882). Bus: BAAS, LF1D, LF1S, LF2, LF3, LF4, LF5, LF6, LF8, LF9, LF11, LF15, LF21, LFCS2, SI330, SI381,SI391. Opening Hours (Museum): Every day from 08.30 to 19.30. Entrance fee: 6 Euro (discount: 3 Euro). Accessible to disabled people.
History and description
The Roman Amphitheater of Arezzo was built in the 2nd half of the 2nd century, when Hadrian was emperor. Excavated in 1915, it was restored several times after World War II.
Blocks of sandstone, laterizia (a longish, flat brick commonly used in Roman times) and marble were used as building materials for the oval-shaped construction. The dimensions are 121 meters in length and 68 meters in width. The 8 to 9 thousand spectators were seated on two levels.
As often happened after the collapse of the empire, the ruins of amphitheater were looted to build new structures. This happened, for example, in the 16th century with the San Bernardo Monastery, which now houses the Museo Archeologico “Gaio Cilnio Mecenate.
Stones from the amphitheater were also used in the construction of the city walls decreed by the Medici.
Only part of the grandstand and the aisles can still be seen.