City Gates Assisi

The old part of Assisi is protected by no fewer than two city walls. These are exceptionally well preserved and most of the gates that used to give access to the city are also still intact.

City gates Assisi

Porta San Francesco

The Porta San Francesco is one of the oldest city gates and was originally the entrance gate for visitors arriving from Perugia. A renovation took place in the 15th century. Subsequently added frescoes were discovered in 1911. It is one of the best preserved gateways to Assisi.

Porta San Pietro

The Porta San Pietro is named for San Pietro Abbey which is located immediately outside this gate. This city gate marks the beginning of the pilgrimage route to the Santa Maria degli Angeli Basilica. Although the gate was built in the 15th century, the arch itself dates back to Roman times. From the gate, one walks through the Piazzetta Ruggero Borghi to the Piazza Inferiore di San Francesco. The gate is flanked by a tower.

Porta Moiano

The name of the 14th century Porta Moiano is probably derived from the Latin Mons Iani (“Mountain of Janus”). Roman ruins can therefore still be seen along the street. This last gate through which St. Francis walked on his way to the Porziuncola, where he was to die. The gate is close to the “Wellsof Maiano”, which were thought to contain water with healing properties.

Porta Cappuccini

The Porta Cappuccini leads to the Eremo delle Carceri and the Rocca Minore. The original gate was called Porta Sant’Antonio, but it was destroyed by the troops of the mercenary soldier Piccinino. During reconstruction, the gate was integrated into the city walls, built in 1316.

Porta Nuova

The Porta Nuova was gifted to the city by Cardinal Albernoz in 1365. Until then, all the city gates were on the south side of Assisi. This was the first gate to be erected on the east side.

Porta Perlici

The origin of the name of the Porta Perlici, which already existed in Roman times, is not known. The gate was used by travelers to and from nearby towns such as Nocera Umbra and Gualdo Tadino. The nearby Acquedotto Sanguinone was used by the army of Perugia to invade Assisi. The medieval Via Perlici connects the gate to the San Rufino Cathedral.

Porta San Giacomo

The Porta San Giacomo was probably built on a site where there used to be another gate. From this gate, a narrow street leads to Piazza Superiore and the Basilica of St. Francis.

More city gates Assisi

The Porta San Giorgio was the city gate for pilgrims who were heading to the Santa Chiara Basilica.

The Porta del Sementone is part of the walls built in the 14th century. This gate was bricked up in the 16th century, and reopened in 1925.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *