The Fontego del Megio is a historic building and former grain depository along the Canal Grande in Venice. It is a rather simple brick structure, the only decoration of the facade being a Lion of San Mark. There used to be several granai in the city, so that there would always be affordable food for its population. The palace is also known as the Deposito del Megio.
Fontego del Megio Venice
Address: Calle del Megio Santa Croce 1779 – Venice. Sestiere: Santa Croce.
Geschiedenis en beschrijving
The Fontego del Miglio (Megio, in the local dialect) is right next to the famous Fontego dei Turchi. The building is characterized by its typically Venetian medieval merlons. Unlike in other cities, where they served a defensive function, the merlons in Venice were purely decorative. This might explain why they are triangular instead of square (Guelph merlons) or swallow-tail (Ghibelline) in shape.
The Fontego del Megio was constructed in the 15th century. It was used as a depository for millet (miglio), so that the population would have enough to eat in periods of scarcity. Millet was mostly eaten by those were not bornin Venice itself, since Venetians preferred white bread.
The Lion of Saint Mark decorating the facade indicated that the building was property of the Venetian Republic.