The Palazzo Arcivescovile (“Episcopal Palace”) of Florence is located on that part of the Piazza del Duomo called Piazza di San Giovanni. The highlight of the palace is its courtyard, which gives access to the San Salvatore al Vescovo Church.
Palazzo Arcivescovile Florence
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
The address of the Palazzo Arcivescovile is Piazza di San Giovanni – 50129 Florence. Telephone: +39 055271071. The building is not accessible to tourists.
History Palazzo Arcivescovile Florence
Even before the year 1000 there was a palace on the spot where the Palazzo Arcivescovile is now located. From the beginning of the 13th century until the construction of the Bargello this building was used by the Podestà (a kind of mayor) of the city.
The Palazzo Arcivescovile was severely damaged by fire in 1533. Towards the end of the 16th century it was partially restored by Giovanni Antonio Dosio. At that time, the building consisted of two parts separated by an internal street.
When the Piazza del Duomo was enlarged, the facade of the palace had to be demolished. A few meters further back it was rebuilt. This work lasted from 1892 to 1895. Many elements of the original façade were reused. However, the windows on the first floor were replaced by shop windows.
The coat of arms of various popes have been attached to the facade of the palace.
One of the highlights of the Palazzo Arcivescovile is the courtyard. It is framed by large arches resting on Doric columns. The loggia is formed by Ionic columns and is reached via a staircase designed by Bernardino Ciurini.
San Salvatore al Vescovo Church
This courtyard leads to the Church of San Salvatore al Vescovo. The façade of this 13th century church is located in Piazza dell’Olio. It was restored in 1727 and frescoed by Ciurini. It was built on a previously existing Romanesque church.
In the apse of the church there are a number of murals by Giovanni Domenico Ferretto and Mauro Soderini, among others.