The Palazzo delle Logge is a historical building on the higher side of Arezzo‘s sloping central Piazza Grande. It was designed by Vasari in the 16th century. To make its construction possible, the entire square had to be modified.
Palazzo delle Logge Arezzo
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Piazza Grande – Arezzo. Opening Hours and Admission: The building can only be viewed from the outside.
History and description
The Palazzo delle Logge was designed by Vasari in 1573, one year before his death. Construction was not completed until 1595, under Alfonso Parigi.
In order to build the palace, part of the square had to be completely redesigned.
The first floor is characterized by a portico under which the entrances to a number of historic stores are located. It is also thanks to this portico that the square shows architectural balance.
In the central part of the loggia is a small staircase, which leads to the higher Piazza del Praticino.
On the left is the entrance to the Court of Assizes, which since the 19th century has had its seat in a former theater from the 16th century.
The Palazzo delle Logge is also called Logge del Vasari.