The Palazzo Papadopoli is a Renaissance building on the north bank of the Grand Canal in Venice. Part of the palace is currently occupied by the 7-star luxury hotel Aman Canal Grande.
Palazzo Papadopoli Venice
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Calle Tiepolo Baiamonte, San Polo 1364 – 30125 Venezia. Opening Hours: Not accessible to tourists. (NB: Due to the Covid crisis, opening hours may differ from those indicated here).
History and description
The Palazzo Papadolopi was built by Giangiacomo de’ Grigi in the mid 16th century. At the time the building was owned by the Coccina family.
Later it came into the hands of the then wealthy Tiepolo family, who had to sell it to Valentino Comello in 1837 due to money problems. In 1852 the Austrian Bartolomeo Stürmer bought the palace and in 1664 the bankers Nicolò and Angelo Papadopoli took it over.
The Papadolopi subsequently also bought some adjacent palaces in order to create space for a large garden. In the garden there is still a typical Venetian Gothic well.
They commissioned the architect Girolamo Levi to give the exterior a neoclassical facelift, while the interior was redecorated in an art-nouveau style.
Except for the central part with its large windows, semicircular arches and columns, the building is soberly decorated. The most striking feature is the presence of two obelisks on the roof.
The monumental staircase and the ballroom had already been frescoed by Cesare Rotta.
A ceiling painting by Giambattista Tiepolo from 1750 is said to adorn a niche on the second floor.
The rich numismatic collection of Nicolò Papadopoli Aldobrandini is now on display in the Museo Correr.
Giangiacomo de’ Grigi was the son of the more famous Guglielmo de’ Grigi da Bergamo. In addition to working as an architect, he also worked as a sculptor.
Cesare Rotta (1847-1885) is best known for the works described above.
Giambattista Tiepolo (1696-1770) is one of the most famous painters from Venice. He was the youngest in a family of nine children and was best known for his colourful Art Nouveau paintings. Apart from many churches in Venice itself, his works can be seen in the cathedrals of Udine, Padua and Bergamo, among others.