The Piazza del Comune is the square where the Town Hall (in the Palazzo dei Priori) of Assisi is located. In addition to this town hall, there are a number of interesting buildings, such as the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo and the 13th century Torre del Popolo.
Piazza del Comune Assisi
Palazzo dei Priori and Pinacoteca
The Palazzo dei Priori consists of three sections built in different eras and today houses the Town Hall and the Tourist Office of Assisi. An interesting pinacoteca is located on its first floor. Before 1933, it was located elsewhere, but it was felt that the current residence was a more appropriate home for its fine collection.
Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo
The Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo dates back to 1282. Originally headquarters of the Capitano del Popolo, then residence of the Podestà (at the time the, elected, ruler of the city), its original name is still used even though it has since been given other functions.
Torre del Popolo
The square, 13th century tower that guarding the square is called Torre del Popolo, or “Tower of the People.” This tower was also built in several stages and the upper part was not completed until 1305.
The Piazza del Comune was built near the site of the ancient Roman Forum of Assisi. The archaeological remains have recently been restored and part of the monument can be visited.
Santa Maria Sopra Minerva
The facade of the Temple of Minerva (from the 1st century BC) is still standing and in 1539 was incorporated into the church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. In 1600 the church was restored (under the direction of the architect Giorgetti) and dedicated to Saint Filippo Neri. The original façade, with 6 columns and Corinthian capitals, is left intact.
Palazzo del Governatore
Opposite the temple, on the other side of the square, is the Palazzo del Governatore, where one can see the Volta Pinta, with grotesques painted by Raffaellino del Colle in the 17th century.
Although all the buildings in the square predate the 15th century, the Fountain of the Three Lions that stands in front of the Palazzo delle Poste was put there much later, in 1762, by Giovanni Martinucci.