The Porta del Carmine is the main city gate of the Pianoscarano district of Viterbo. It is the only city gate in Viterbo with a drawbridge.
Porta del Carmine Viterbo
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
The address of the Porta del Carmine is Via del Carmine, snc – Viterbo. The gate can be viewed from the outside.
History and description
The Porta del Carmine is barely decorated and looks exactly the same, without coats of arms or plaques, as it did in the 13th century, when it was built. It is characterized by two arches one above the other.
In 1367, the gate, the only one in Viterbo with a drawbridge, was partially demolished by order of Pope Urban IV.
Both this drawbridge and the moat still exist, although the former is no longer made of wood but of stone.
There used to be a door that could be closed when Viterbo was attacked. This was removed when the city wall lost its defensive function.
When Pope Urban V passed through this gate on his way back from Avignon to spend some time in Viterbo, the inhabitants of the town had stretched sheets covered with fresh vegetable leaves across the road so that the good man and his entourage could travel through the district in the shade.
The name of the gate comes from the nearby 13th century church run by the order of the Discalced Carmelites.