The Porta San Gallo is a medieval city gate on the Piazza della Libertà in Florence. The gate, built in the 13th century, is flanked by two stone lions. There are also some fragments of a “Madonna and Child” fresco on display.
Porta San Gallo Florence
Address, opening hours and admission
The Porta San Gallo city gate can be visited for free at any time of the day. It is located in Piazza della Libertà. The nearest bus stop is Libertà (lines 1, 7, 25, 82, 307 A, C1).
History and description
The Porta del Gallo was built in 1285 by order of Ronaldino de Canossa, the captain of the Guelphs.
The inscription on the gate refers to a visit to the city by Danish King Frederick IV.
The two stone lions on either side of the gate are called Marzocchi.