San Bonaventura Church Venice

The San Bonaventura Church is a, certainly by local standards, rather nondescript church in the sestiere Cannaregio in Venice. Nothing remains of the church’s original decorations.

San Bonaventura Church Venice

Address, opening hours and entrance fee

Address: Sestiere Cannaregio, 3145 – 30121 Venezia. Telephone: +39 041 717404. Opening hours and entrance fee: N/A.

History and Description

The Chiesa di San Bonaventura was founded in 1620 by Franciscan Friars Minor from the Venetian island of San Francesco nel Deserto.

When Napoleon ordered the dissolution of all monastic orders, the monastery of the church was destroyed and the church itself closed.

In 1859 the complex was purchased by Countess Paolina Giustinian-Recanati. She then had a new monastery built for the Order of the Barefoot Carmelites. The church was converted into a convent chapel.

In the early 20th century, part of the monastery was converted into a children’s hospital.

Both the facade and the interior of the church have been completely stripped of decorations. The “Santa Margherita da Cortona” painted by Tiepolo was moved to the San Michele in Isola Church on the island of the same name near Murano. There were also works by Tintoretto and Jacopo Bassano, among others. A painting by the latter, the “Madonna with San Bonaventura” can be seen in the Santi Giovanni and Paolo Church.

San Bonaventura Church, Venice

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *