San Domenico Church Arezzo

The San Domenico Church is a 13th century church in the Piazza San Domenico in Arezzo. The most famous work of art on display in this church is a “Crucifix” made by Cimabue. From a historical point of view, it is important because the very first conclave was held here.

San Domenico Church Arezzo

Useful information

The official address of the Chiesa di San Domenico is Via di Sassoverde 59, 52010, Arezzo. (Tel. +39 057522906). Bus: LFCS2. Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday from 10:00 to 13:00 and 14:00 to 19:00. Sunday from 10.00 to 11.00 and from 12.30 to 19.00.

History and description

Construction of the church began in 1275. The work was only completed by the beginning of the 14th century. The San Domenico has been rebuilt very often over the years, although not always with equally positive results. In 1276, the San Domenico Church hosted the first conclave of the Catholic Church.

The facade is characterized by a portal built in the Romanesque style.

The two bells in the bell tower date back to the 14th century.

The church is lit by 6 windows on each side. A special feature is that the space between the windows gradually diminishes, as they get closer to the apse.

During the Middle Ages, the monastery belonging to the church was the seat of the Studium Aretino.

What to see

San Domenico Church Arezzo
San Domenico Church

Unfortunately, the frescoes in the church are generally not very well preserved. They were created by artists from Arezzo and Siena. One of the works is the “Crucifix” by Parri di Spinello.

Parri’s father Spinello da Aretino painted “The Saints Filippo and Giacomo Minore and Events from their Lives and that of Santa Caterina”.

Near the Main Altar is a “Crucifix” made by a young Cimabue.

The Dragondelli Chapel (1370) is located on the right wall of the church. It is one of the few chapels that was not replaced by a large altar in the 16th century. In this chapel there is the fresco “Youthful Jesus Reasoning with the Temple Doctors” by Luca di Tommé.

In the left chapel is a triptych by Giovanni d’Agnolo, depicting from left to right “St. Domenic, the Archangel Michael and St. Paul”.

In the right chapel, a stone “Madonna and Child” can be seen. It is one of the sculptures that used to adorn the 10 city gates of Arezzo since 1339. The artist is not known.

San Domenico Church – Via di Sassoverde 59, Arezzo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *