San Felice Church Venice

San Felice Church Venice

The San Felice Church is located along the so-called Strada Nuova in the Cannaregio district of Venice. The current version of this sparsely decorated church dates back to the 16th century.

San Felice Church Venice

Address, opening hours and entrance fee

Address: Calle S. Felice, 4121 – Cannaregio 3716 – 30121 Venezia. Phone: +39 041 5221751. Opening hours: From 09:00 to 12:00 and from 16:30 to 19:30. Closed: Sunday afternoon. Entrance fee: Free of charge. (Note: Due to the Covid crisis, opening hours may differ from what is indicated here).

History and description

The first version of the San Felice Church was built in the 11th century. It was commissioned by the Gallina family, that used to live in the area. Around the 14th century a first reconstruction took place. At that time the neighborhood looked very different and the church still towered over the surrounding houses.

In 1531, the church underwent a complete reconstruction, during which the orientation was also changed. The style of the new church was inspired by the architecture of Mauro Codussi. This style is known as the Venetian Renaissance. Examples include the churches designed (in whole or in part) by Codussi, such as the San Michele in Isola, di San Zaccaria, di San Giovanni Crisostomo and Santa Maria Formosa churches.

The floor plan is that of a Greek cross with a central dome. In the 19th century almost all decorations were removed. Even now the ornamentation consists of not much more than a number of marble neoclassical altars.

One painting having survived the looting is a “San Demetrio” by Tintoretto.

A plaque refers to the baptism of Carlo Rezzonico, which took place in the church in 1693. Little Carlo probably had no idea then that he would later make it to Pope Clement VIII.

San Felice Church Venice

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *