The San Francesco d’Assisi Church in Palermo was built in the 13th century. An earlier version of the church, built in the same century, had been demolished after the king and the pope had had a bit of a disagreement. The church has a beautiful facade with a very nice rose window.
San Francesco d’Assisi Church Palermo
Address, opening times and admission
Address: Chiesa di San Francesco d’Assisi, Piazza San Francesco d’Assisi – 90133 Palermo. Tel: (+39) 091582370. Opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 07:00 to 11:30 and 16:00 to 18:00; Sunday from 07:30 to 13:00 and 16:30 to 18:00.
History and description
The current version of the San Francesco d’Assisi Church was built between 1255 and 1277. This happened after the first church dedicated to the saint had been demolished by order of Frederick II. The king had wanted to avenge himself on the pope after his excommunication.
The facade acquired its present form at the beginning of the 14th century. The portal with the triple archivolt was constructed in that period. The blind trifora in the architrave above the portal is decorated with paintings.
In 1872 the facade was restored. The architect was Giuseppe Patricolo. He had a new rose window placed on the facade. He was inspired by the equally old Sant’Agostino Church.
The interior consists of three naves and a number of spacious chapels.
What to see
The Mastrantonio Chapel was designed by Francesco Laurana in 1462.
The Cappella dell’Immacolata is located to the right of the presbytery. In 1624 this chapel was decorated with works of art financed by the Senate of Palermo. Along the wall of this chapel, which is covered with different types of marble, are eight statues of saints.