The San Giovanni Grisostomo Church is located in the sestiere Cannaregio in Venice. The main attractions in this church are paintings by Bellini and Sebastiano del Piombo. Bellini was commissioned to do the painting through an extremely detailed will.
San Giovanni Grisostomo Church Venice
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Salizada San Giovanni Grisostomo, 5889 – Venice. Telephone: +39 041 5235293. Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday from 10:00 to 17:00; Sunday from 13:00 to 17:00. Entrance fee: Free. Alternative Name: San Giovanni Crisostomo. (Note: Due to the Covid crisis, opening hours may differ from what is indicated here).
History and description
The San Giovanni Grisostomo Church was designed by the architect Mauro Codusso between 1497 and 1504. His son Domenico would complete the construction.
Previously, there used to be a church dedicated to Santa Cecilia on the same spot. The church was rededicated when the mortal remains of the Patriarch John found a home there.
Giovanni Bellini painted the “Santi Cristoforo, Girolamo e Ludovico di Tolosa” (1513, first chapel on the right). He carried out the work as a member of the Scuola Grande di San Marco. This fraternity had received the, extremely detailed, commission for the work through the will of the merchant Giorgio Diletti. Diletti had even indicated which saints should be depicted.
Sebastiano del Piombo was responsible for the “John Chrysostomus with John the Baptist and Saints Libera, Maria Magdalena, Agnes and Caterina” (1509-1511).
A final highlight is the marble altarpiece “Coronation of the Virgin between the Apostles.”