The relatively lesser known Santa Maria della Maddalena Church in Assisi is located outside the city, along the street that connects the suburb of Rivotorto with the Santa Maria degli Angeli in Porziuncola Church. The church belongs to the borough of Rivotorto.
Santa Maria Maddalena Church Assisi
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: SS75, 06081 – Rivotorto (Assisi). Phone: Not known. Opening hours: Not known. Entrance fee: Free.
History and description
The original name of this ancient church, which existed as early as the 12th century, was San Lazzaro in Arce. It is believed that it used to belong to the hospital where Saint Francis nursed the lepers. It is certain that the current name was used as early as 1332.
It is not known exactly when this nursing home (except for the chapel with the stone facade and the small bell tower) was razed to the ground. The Museo Nazionale di Palazzo Venezia in Rome does still exhibit a bronze seal of the church (in the Sala Sigilli).
The construction of a new street meant that the original entrance can no longer be used. The current entrance is on the left side of the church.
In the apse you can see a badly damaged 17th century fresco depicting the “Crucifixion,” while above the apse there is a painting that has the “Annunciation of the Lord” as its theme.