The Santi Pietro e Paolo Church is one of relatively recently built churches in Palermo. Highlights include its façade and the frescoed apses.
Santi Pietro e Paolo Church Palermo
Address, opening hours and Ticket price
Address: Via Bentivegna, 62/b – 90139 Palermo. Tel: (+39) 091335485 or 0916126843. Opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 08.00 to 12.00 and 16.00 to 20.30; Sundays and holidays from 08.00 to 12.30 and 18.00 to 21.30. Admission: Free of charge.
History and description
Construction of the Santi Pietro e Paolo Church was completed in 1879. From 1880 till 1940, the church served as the chapel of the nearby Benedictine Monastery. In 1940 it was made into a parish church.
The facade of the Chiesa dei Santi Pietro e Paolo is made of blocks of volcanic tuff stone. On the ledge above the lower part of the church are the names of the saints to whom it is dedicated, along with the year of its construction. The decorations on the façade are neo-classical in style.
The central entrance gate shows Gothic influences. Above the pointed arch is a coat of arms with the symbols of the saints Peter (a tiara and keys) and Paul (a sword).
The octagonal bell tower next to the church also shows Gothic influences.
The interior consists of three naves. These are separated by twelve columns. The columns are connected by pointed arches.
The frescoes in the three apses were painted by Giuseppe la Manna, a native of Palermo.
The wooden pulpit dates back to 1888 and was made by the sculptor and woodcarver Salvatore Valenti.