The historical centre of Capranica is located on a tuff stone rock, which is shaped like a flagship. Most of the top 10 attractions of the city are located within this historic centre, which can be entered through two ancient city gates.
Top 10 tourist attractions Capranica
- The Madonna del Piano Church was built between the 12th and 14th centuries and stands just outside the city walls of Capranica. In 1559, it was restored by Vignola, but after both the church and the adjacent convent collapsed in 1632, many of the changes made by the famous architect were lost during reconstruction.
- The Castello degli Anguillara and the Torrione dell’Orologio.
- The Santa Maria Church was built in 1866 by the neo-classical architect Vespignani. Highlights in this church are a tabernacle from the 15th century and the 12th century painting “Blessed Redeemer”.
- Chiesa della Madonna dei Ruscelli
- The 13th century entrance gate of the Ospedale di San Sebastiano.
- The Chiesa della Madonna delle Grazie was built between the 13th and 16th centuries.
- The San Francesco Church dates abck to the 12th century. The highlight of this church is the Gothic tomb of the twins Francesco and Nicola Anguillara (15th century).
- The Chiesa Collegiata di San Giovanni was restored in the 19th century. It was built on top of an already existing Romanesque church. The bell tower still belongs to the first version. Highlights are a crucifix from the 16th century and a marble tabernacle.
- The San Pietro Church dates back to the 11th century.
- The Chiesa di San Rocco (15th century) is the seat of the Museo delle Confraternite (“Museum of the Brotherhoods”).
More tourist attractions Capranica
- San Terenziano Church
- Palazzo Montenero-Sansoni (late 18th century)
- Palazzo Forlani (17th century)
- Palazzo Patrizi-Naro
- Palazzo del Governatorato (17th century)
- The Palazzo Accoramboni was built in the 17th century and is the seat of the city’s town hall.
- Chiesa della Madonna del Cerreto (18th century)
- Porta di Sant’Antonio (17th century)
- The Porta del Ponte is the gateway to the Anguillara Castle.