Since its inception in the 16th century, the Via Toledo in Naples has always been one of the main historic, cultural and economic arteries of the city. It connects two of the main squares, the Piazza Dante and the Piazza Trieste e Trento and is one of the main shopping streets of Naples.
Via Toledo Naples
History and description
The Via Toledo was constructed in 1536 on the initiative of the then Viceroy Pedro Alvarez de Toledo. It has a length of 1,2 km, starts at the Piazza Dante and ends at the Piazza Trieste e Trento. It runs from north to south.
In 1870, when Rome became the capital of the new country Italy, the Via Toledo was renamed to Via Roma. In 1980 it was returned to its original name.
Since 2012, when the underground station Toledo was inaugurated, the street became predominantly pedestrian.
North of the Piazza Dante, the street continues under the name Via Enrico Pessina.
The street is lined by many shops and historic buildings. The most important buildings are the Palazzo Cirella, the Palazzo Zevallos, the Palazzo Lieto, the Palazzo De Rosa, the Palazzo Trabucco, the Palazzo Mastelloni and the Palazzo Doria d’Angri.
The 16th century Palazzo Barbaja (n. 205) received a neoclassicist make-over in the 18th century. It is named for Domenico Barbaja, a theatre producer who lived there in the 19th century. The composer Rossini also spent some time in the palazzo, which is now privately owned and has lost much of its splendour.
There are two metro stops (Dante and Toledo) in the Via Toledo.